I am an absolute sucker for tacos – I try to sneak them into our weekly meal plan as often as possible.
But what’s even better?
It’s when I can add all my ingredients to a slow cooker and have dinner “magically” ready by 7 PM. So, with that in mind, I created this Slow Cooker Jackfruit recipe that encompasses the ease of the slow cooker with just a smidge of work at the end with broiling and making the Cilantro Lime Rice. I also added a new ingredient to my recipe from BookClubCookBook– it’s the Late Show with Stephen Clove-bert, a Yucatan Recado Rojo Rub that I received for the 2022 BlendsBash.
I promise that the extra step is worth it and helps to make the jackfruit a tiny bit more tender, which enhances the flavor.
Also, my Cilantro Lime Rice is the EASIEST and always a hit in my house.
Prep time: 15 miniutes
Cook time: 8.5 hours
Servings: 4 servings with 3 tacos each
- Drain and rinse jackfruit, and pat dry.
- Add the jackfruit, garlic, orange juice, onion, apple cider vinegar, vegetable broth, liquid smoke, and seasoning. Stir together.
- Cook on low for 7 hours
- Once time is up, take a fork/potato masher and separate jackfruit, so it looks like shredded chicken.
- Continue cooking in slow cooker on low for 1 hour.
- Turn oven onto broil.
- Make the rice while waiting for the oven to reach the broil.
- Add 2 cups of water to a small pot, bring to a boil, add 1 cup of rice, and cover. Once the pan returns to a boil, turn it to low and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Line a medium sheet pan with parchment paper, transfer cooked jackfruit to the lined sheet pan, and spread jackfruit out on the pan
- Top with juice of one lime, chili powder, and cumin.
- Place in oven and broil for 10-15 minutes, rotating halfway (but keep an eye on it so that it doesn’t burn)
- Once the rice is done cooking, turn off the heat and sit for 5 minutes. Do not remove the lid.
- After 5 minutes, remove the lid, and add butter, lime juice, cilantro, and salt.
- Using a fork, fluff all the ingredients together. Cover until ready to eat.
- Remove jackfruit from the oven and assemble your tacos!
- Top with pico de gallo, guacamole, sour cream/plain greek yogurt, and cilantro.