It’s fall, y’all. I need all the soups, especially if they’re easy to throw together but the final product is packed with flavor. Being a vegetarian means that my soup options can be limited – I’m alway searching for ways to swap out the meat for the meatless. I’ve discovered that Jackfruit is a pretty good substitute in White Chicken Chili and that I can use Beyond Burgers to substitute for ground beef. One thing that I have had to learn to love as a vegetarian is Mushrooms… they have ALWAYS been my list favorite ingredient to find. But, after 2 years of being meat-free, I am starting to like the flavor and texture that they add to my recipes. I don’t love them yet, but we’re getting there.
As part of my next recipe introduction for Blends Bash 2020 with The Book Club Cook Book – I put together a Wild Rice Soup that has a lot of flavor!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
Yields : 8 – 10 servings
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled & diced
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 6 cups of vegetable stock ( I use these bouillon cubes)
- 3/4 cup of uncooked wild rice
- 1 cup of sliced baby bella mushrooms
- 3 carrots, diced
- 3 ribs of celery, diced
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled & diced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1/2 tablespoon of Where the Crawdads Zing
- 1 cup of chopped kale
- 4 tablespoons of unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup of All-Purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups of unsweetened Almond Milk
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil to a large stock pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion and sauté for a few minutes, until it is soft and translucent.
- Add in the garlic and cook until fragrant (1-2 minutes).
- Add in the 6 cups of water and bouillon cubes (or 6 cubes of vegetable broth).
- Add in the 3/4 cup of wild rice, 1 cup of mushrooms, diced carrots, diced celery ribs, diced sweet potato. Stir.
- Add in the 2 bay leaves and 1 1/2 tbsp. of Where the Crawdads Zing!
- Continue to cook until the soup begins to simmer. Then reduce your heat to medium-low, cover and continue to simmer for 45 minutes.
- Keep an eye on your rice, as it gets tender it may soak up some of the liquid in the soup. If need be, add more 1/4 cup at a time.
- When the soup is about 10 minutes from being done, you can make your roux.
- Add the butter to a sauce pan, allow for it to melt. Then slowly stir in your 1/4 cup of flour and whisk until combined. Then a dd in your 1 1/2 cups of unsweetened Almond milk (1/2 cup at a time). Stir frequently until it thickens up (2 -3 minutes).
- Add in the roux and 1 cup of kale to your soup. Stir until combined. Allow to cook for 2 minutes.
- Season with salt, pepper and extra Where the Crawdads Zing seasoning.
- Serve warm with toasty garlic bread!
Slow Cooker Adapation
- Add everything to the crockpot except for the roux and kale. Stir.
- Cook on high for 2 – 3 hours. Be mindful that the rice may cook quickly and you will need to add more vegetable broth to keep it soupy.
- Make roux.
- Add roux and kale to crock pot. Stir.
- Serve and enjoy!
If you try this recipe, be sure to let me know what you think! And don’t forget to check out the other Blends offered through Blends Bash!