Last night our book club met to discuss Daisy Jones & the Six. I knew our hostess was planning to make lasagna so I decided to make my Holy Cannoli cupcakes.
I love my book club. There are so many wonderful ladies and if it wasn’t for our club, I would never have had a chance to meet them! I can’t say that we spend too much time talking about the book (we usually talk about our likes and dislikes) but we spend a lot of time just talking; life, books, kids, pets (what I talk about), etc. There are countless times through the weeks between book club that I think “Oh, just a few more weeks and I get to see everything.” We don’t meet up during the summer as we know most people will be busy with the traveling, their kids, their pets (again, me) and won’t have time to get together and boy, am I going to miss seeing them all this summer!
Anyways… enough about book club and back to what you’re really here for, the cupcakes.
I made these cupcakes for the first time last year, it was my mother in-laws birthday and I thought she would enjoy them. I don’t think she ended up liking them as much as I did; they are one of my FAVORITE cupcakes (besides strawberry cream cheese). I love these because they are rich but not too sweet that you can only have one (I think last night, everyone had at least two); even my husband, who doesn’t like sweets (I have no idea how we are married), enjoyed them.
They are, also, very easy to make! Honestly, the most tedious part is waiting for everything to cool in the fridge…. that’s the only issue with cream cheese icing (if you leave it sitting out of the fridge it softens and loses its shape quickly). I made these cupcakes ahead of time so that they would have a chance to cool and set overnight before I took them to book club.
Holy Cannoli Cupcakes
Servings: 18 Cupcakes
Vanilla Cupcake Ingredients
- 1/2 to 1 cup sugar (I added less because I knew the frosting would be sweeter)
- 1/4 cup butter softened
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg white
- 1/3 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tbs. vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 3 1/2 tbsp. cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2/3 cup milk
Cannoli Icing Ingredients
- 1/2 cup butter, softened.
- 1 (8oz.) block of cream cheese, softened.
- 1/2 cup whole milk ricotta cheese
- 2.5 cups of powdered sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup miniature chocolate chips
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- 2 tbsp. coconut oil
- Pre-heat oven to 350°. Line cupcake tin with paper liners. I lightly sprayed mine with non-stick spray. Set aside.
- Combine the sugar, butter, eggs, greek yogurt, oil and vanilla extract. Stir until combined.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Fold the dry mixture into the wet ingredients.
- Slowly add in milk.
- Use an ice-cream scoop and fill cupcake liners with 1/2 of cupcake mixture.
- Bake for 16-18 minutes. I started checking mine at about 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Wait 5 minutes and then remove from cupcake tin and place on rack to cool.
- Begin working on the Cannoli Icing while the cupcakes are cooling.
- Combine the butter, cream cheese and ricotta cheese into a bowl and blend until light and fluffy. This took about 3-4 minutes to do.
- Add in your vanilla extract, cinnamon and salt. Stir to combine.
- Place icing mixture into a piping bag and place in the refrigerator for 2 hours (while cupcakes are cooling).
- After icing mixture has set and cupcakes have cooled, begin icing your cupcakes!
- Once cupcakes are iced, sprinkle the miniature chocolate chips on top of your cupcakes.
- Working on 50% power, begin to microwave your chocolate and coconut oil and stir every 30 second. It took me a little less than 2 minutes for the chocolate to melt.
- Let your melted chocolate set for 10 minutes.
- Take a spoon and dip into the chocolate and drizzle over the cupcakes.
- Place the cupcakes into the fridge to allow the chocolate to set complete.
- Serve and enjoy!
If you give these a try, I would love to see your photos and any feedback that you have! You can tag me on social media, my Instagram name is @The.Bookend.Diner.
Until next time friends!