One thing you will probably begin to notice is that I love baked goods. If I could survive off of sweet tasty treats, I most definitely would. I blame my grandmother for my sweet tooth. Even at 92 years old, she would much rather have dessert for breakfast than any other food. I’m always trying to come up with recipes that are on the healthier side of things; sometimes those recipes are a success and then other times they are a complete fail. This pie, however, was a success. My husband (who doesn’t have a single sweet tooth) was disappointed when all the pie was gone.
This pie was a smooth, chocolate-deliciousness and the coconut flour crust really added something to the recipe. I love coconut anything (especially coconut cream pie) so I was thrilled when this crust came out tasting as good as it looks. Also, it was SO easy to make- seriously, one of the easiest pie crusts I have ever attempted to make.
For the pie crust:
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
- 3/4 Cup Coconut Flour
- 1/2 stick (8 tbsp) of salted butter
- 2 eggs
- Preheat the oven 325°
- Blend the coconut flour & butter until they are well combined. You can use a pastry cutter but I just used my hands because I wanted to be sure that I had everything combined perfectly. You will want to be sure that there aren’t any remaining chunks of butter and that all of the coconut flour is combined. It took about 5 minutes to be sure everything was well combined.
- Add in two eggs and blend until dough forms and then you can mold into a ball
- Grease a 9″ pie pan and begin to press the dough into the pan. I started in the middle of the pan and worked my way to the edges. I had to go back a few times and press the dough out as it began to group in certain areas.
- Once you have the dough how you want it to be, take a fork and make indentations in the bottom of the crust
- Place the pie crust into the preheated oven and bake for 20 minutes. Watch it carefully as you don’t want the edges to burn.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Chill Time 5 hours
Total Time: 5 hours, 20 minutes
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 tbsp. cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips (melted)
- 1/4 cup sweetener (You can add more if you like really sweet. I just used this amount since the chocolate chips already had sugar in them
- 8oz. Greek Yogurt Cream Cheese (room temperature). Some place don’t carry this type of cream cheese so you can just use regular if you would like
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Combine the cream, egg yolks and cocoa powder in a saucepan until the mixture thickens– this takes 5-6 minutes. Be sure to continuously whisk or it will not turn out correctly.
- Melt the chocolate chips in the microwave. Heat for 15 seconds, stir, 15 seconds, stir– until they have melted.
- Combine the melted chocolate chips into the cocoa powder mixture and stir to combine.
- Add in the butter and vanilla and stir until melted.
- Add the softened cream cheese greek yogurt (in spoonfuls) to the mixture and stir it until it’s combined and there are no lumps; this may take a few minutes.
- Add in your sugar.
- Pour the mixture into the pie crust above.
- Place in refrigerator and let it cool for 4-5 hours or until it’s set.
- Whip up the heavy cream and the sugar until it begins to form stiff peaks. S
- Spread the whipped cream on top of the pie (I did this after letting the pie sit for 4 hours).
- Sprinkle with your chocolate chips.